Monday, August 12, 2013

Annual vacation

I was on blogging hiatus during last year's trip (which was to Manzanita, Oregon), however we try to take a week or so long vacation each year in addition to our long weekends and other smaller adventures.  This year's outing was an August camping trip to the Idaho wilderness.  Sleep in a tent, dig a hole to do your business, cellular service an 1.5 hour drive away, middle of nowhere camping.  It was glorious.  

Awesome! This photo sums up the general atmosphere while camping. 
"Hooray, hooray; it's fun, it's dirty and clothing is optional!!!"

We were very blessed, indeed, by our company.  Phil and Terri (Aunty Cheryl's sister) drove all the way from Santa Rosa with Nitro, the German Wire Hair Dog, to camp with us.  They are spectacular campers and it was truly lovely to have them with us.  My Dad also came, he was the most fun he's been in forever.  
I am not sure what Terri and LJ were up to here.

Phil, Dad and RubySue (L-R) enjoying the campfire and manning the Dutch ovens.

The view while washing dishes or cooking. I think I'd be a better dishwasher at home if I could gaze at this while being serenaded by the river's bubbling waters.

She spent a lot of hours being told, "No, no, no, no don't shovel there, do it over there. Where no one's gonna fall in a hole while walking!"

Gunnar, post roasted marshmallow.  I needn't say more, except that even his eyelashes were stuck to his lids. He was a bear when I tried to wash him up.

Roar!

I intentionally under packed, intending to wash clothes in the river, by hand while there.  And I did!

Of course, there were any number of pesky insects and, of course, LindyJean was the one stung. Just under her eye, no less!  It was terrible and she screamed bloody murder for a whole hour after.

The tent was a major hit.  I think my children would be most pleased if I declared we are selling our home and going to live in a Yurt.  They'd think I was the coolest mama ever.  The Stagglets spent a minimum of 1 hr per day playing in the tent - aside from naps and nightime!

Uncle Phil chopping some wood, like a burly mountain manly man should.

Hanging out, fireside. 

He's "fishing."

Evening camp attire.  It cools off considerably.

Remember that Tonka truck up top?  This is what your face looks like after you biff it, running after your Tonka truck, which you sent tumbling, at a break neck pace down the hill.

Excursion to Avery, Idaho to buy more ice for the beverage cooler... because you might not survive the trip if your beer gets above 38F.  

They have a little trout pool, the kids love it!


The one photo of my face from the trip, not glamourous, but sometimes you have to suck it up and share the not so hot photo of yourself. At least my kid is cute, eh?


Inside the Avery Jail.  Which they do, in fact, use for drunken disorderly violations.  Or in my case, whiny disobedience violations.

Come on out convicts!

The walking bridge.

It wiggled a lot, which made Gunnar nervous.  But Terri, lovingly, guided him by the hand.  


Pouty Bitty, Ecstatic LindyJean, and Cheerful GW.

I had to beg her to let me get ahead of her to take this photo.  She insisted on being our hike leader.

Bitty had a birthday, while camping.  FIVE!!!

Eric is a spectacular, no joke Dutch oven cook (so is Phil for that matter) and we ate like kings.  I seriously gained 8 lbs while camping.  To celebrate Bitty's birthday, Eric baked a cake in the Dutch oven over coals, he's a genius. LindyJean was his sous chef.

Tada!

Meal example... pork loin braised with onions, apple, potato and herbs, topped with biscuits baked to golden perfection.  One night he roasted two whole chickens, made gravy, and cooked sweet corn from our garden?!?!?!!! All in Dutch ovens.  Phil, busted out Dutch oven pizza one night, even the dough was from scratch.  The food was amazing.

Grandad and Gunnar enjoying a fireside chat.

Happy campers.  Happy Birthday Bitty.  I can't believe she's five.  

3 comments:

Grandma LoLo said...

How I miss your blogs, you make everything so much fun and the kids are going up so fast . The stream shots are so pretty.

The Johnsons said...

Wowza, what a post! Balloons are coming up soon . . .

Kara said...

Wow! What a fabulous trip and such great family memories. I want to go camping with you guys! Happy birthday Adelaide!