Monday, October 31, 2011

Halloween

First & foremost, thanks to Aunt Cheryl for sending the adorable costumes. With the hectic pace of life around these parts as of late, not having to think about what to dress them in and then go out and get it was a great relief.

It seems we are creating a tradition around Halloween of late afternoon trick-or-treating with the Galbraiths, followed by wings, pizza, and handing out candy at their house until the kids start melting down and bedtime can no longer be ignored. It surprises my how much they enjoy giving out candy to trick-or-treaters, it would seem that they derive more satisfaction from that than going out rustling up candy themselves.

Since becoming a parent, I now understand my mother and have come to grips with the fact that she was right 99.9% of the time. Having thought her just plain mean and wickedly firm in her decisions & discipline, I now realize she was just doing what was necessary in her attempt to raise kids that would be functional, independent, & responsible adults. Why does this photo provoke these thoughts... my girls are just like I imagine Staci & I were. One moment they are bickering, screaming like banshees, crying & whining at one another and suddenly they are hugging, squealing, and giggling up a storm that you just can't help but smile at. I imagine my Ma felt just the same as I do, the kids are either completely adorable and terrifically funny or make you want to poke a pencil in your eye awful.

These two photos are one of those "I love my sister" moments that I just happened to have the luck to record for posterity. Charming.


Enlarge this one so you truly experience the photographic nature of three uncooperative little people. Not so charming.

People loved this costume, and even more so when Bitty would march over to the admirer and state "that's my baby brother, Gunnar, and he is a banana, and I AM A MONKEY!!!"


Maggie, as Mario. This is the one moment we got her to wear the moustache.

One of our local churches had a booth set up downtown and was doing face paint. She was thrilled to have it done.

1 comment:

Kara said...

I was just saying at the doctor that it felt like Halloween was just yesterday! These pictures are great and They all looked so cute! I love that Adelaide connected she was a monkey and her baby brother was a banana! Too fun! Happy Holidays!