Sunday, July 25, 2010

Beets & the ButterBean

After our Saturday night campout, we packed up and headed to Gammy's to pickled beets. Let me tell you that canning with a newborn & Berserkers Bitty running about wreaking havoc and pretending she needs to pee every 5 minutes makes hard work of it!
Just before we left the house, Eric snapped this photo of the girlies. I always dress them up a bit to go to Eric's parents... I run around like a dirtball, but my kids look good!

A pile of onions, beets, vinegar, jars, Trudi washing... in preparation for yummy pickled goodness.

The necessary spice mix for the perfect beet brine: bay leaves, salt, cinnamon, clove, allspice, mustard seed, and fennel.

Just because this photo looks nifty and don't you adore this personalized crock - I want one for my kitchen utensils. By the way, a special (and BIG HUGE) thanks to Trudi for being my local canning partner, she is most fabulous and always up for any of my hair brained canning schemes. (pending post on the apricot preservation spree we just completed)

Beets, onions, brine. Ready to be packed and processed. I have no pictures of the final product in jars. LindyJean woke up and was hungry and then I forgot before we left.

Papa & LindyJean

Sorry for the unbecoming photo, my love... but, I just had to. Your "put down the G$% D@*n camera" look gives me the giggles. Plus, the ButterBean is so very cute there on Daddy's lap!


I LOVE this baby. I think that your second child is so much easier to fall in love with, you've lost all that new parent anxiety and the kiddo doesn't make you nervous. I won't lie either, the ButterBean is a Godsend of a baby. She nurses well, has an easy-going temperament, has been sleeping at least 5 hour stretches through the night since she was 2 weeks old, she handles Bitty's regular mauling like a champ, snuggles when you hold her, she's roly-poly, and she's real darn cute. I put away most of the 0-3 month clothing, as she grew out of it a week and a half ago. LindyJean starting smile at us regularly and has even begun to coo a bit.

5 comments:

Kara said...

How exciting! She does look like a pretty content baby! I'm glad that she's making it easy on you. Love the first picture. Adelaide is getting to be such a big girl!

Brian and Staci said...

Her head is the size of Addy Lou's...ha! Looks like Addy Lou did wreak some havoc at Trudi's....what a personality you've got on that one! Yumy pickled beets!

Brian and Staci said...

Her head is the size of Addy Lou's...ha! Looks like Addy Lou did wreak some havoc at Trudi's....what a personality you've got on that one! Yumy pickled beets!

Heather said...

As a second baby, Isaiah is almost exactly the same! Especially how he tolerates all the "loving" he gets from Caleb :)

Gammy said...

I love your blog - it's so entertaining!!!!